Haggling, bargaining, negotiating. Times are tough and all of these techniques are becoming commonplace in Australia’s department stores and chainstores.
Retailers are desperate to undercut competition and make a sale and you can make true savers just by speaking up and not accepting the advertised price.
It is a competitive shopping environment, so don’t pay retail! Sure, some stores will knock you back. But it is better to ask, particularly with larger purchases like whitegoods and electrical items. But asking for a bargain is also become the norm in clothing and fashion shops, so don’t be afraid to speak up for a bargain when shopping!
Some tips to get a bargain:
- Don’t be afraid to ask for a discount
- Know what competitors are selling
- Remain friendly when you are haggling
- Have a price that you will pay in mind
- Rather than a reduced price, why not bargain for extras to be included in your purchases, like a game with your gaming console, or shoe protector with your new shoes?