Useful Links

Are you looking for more great budget saving tips, information how to reduce credit card debt, or would like tax on your superannuation,

There are also many online resources that can be helpful in making the most of your savings. With online budgeting tools and budget templates, plus simple online  calculators to help you work out credit card interest payments or how much a mortgage will cost, you can save your money.

Finally, for debt relief we list websites that provide free advice about handling debt collectors, making complaints about financial service providers who are acting unfairly towards you, or getting assistance about managing your debts before your debts spiral out of control and become more than you handle.

ASIC Smart Money Website

The Smart Money website from the Australian Securities & Investment Commission offers tools and resources to help you save such as calculators, publications, news and videos, plus so much information on topics like

  • Managing Your Money
  • Borrowing & Credit
  • Insurance
  • Superannuation & Retirement
  • Investing
  • Scams
  • Life Events
Financial Counselling Australia

Financial Counselling Australia can provide financial counselling over the telephone anywhere in Australia.

You can call their telephone service from anywhere in Australia by ringing 1800 007 007.

This free financial advice about debt is available between9.30 am – 4.30 pm Monday to Friday.

Their website also lists other government and non-profit organisations who provide free financial advice and counselling services.



Lifeline can offer free advice, guidance and support if you need help with financial products or debt.

Download their free factsheet about dealing with financial pressure.


The National Association of Community Legal Centres

Community Legal Centres are independent, not for profit, community-based organisations that provide free legal advice, casework and information and a range of community development services to their local community.

You can find your local Community Legal Centre by following this link to the National Association of Community Legal Centre’s Directory.

Guide to Self-Managed Super Funds

Self-managed super funds, or SMSFs, are a method of saving for your retirement where the super fund is run by its own members for their own benefit.

At this website from the Australian Tax Office you can find video on how to manage your own SMSF, plus detailed information for every step in the process of setting up, contributing, investing, paying benefits to winding up and administration of an SMSF.

Department of Human Services

The Federal Government Department of Human Services website contains information about managing your money, with information on budgeting, borrowing money and credit and how to manage debt.

There are also simple online budget calculators, including a four step budget planner, a calculator to help decide whether to rent or buy.

Learn about the Financial Information Service offered by the Department, including the option of talking confidentially with a Financial Information Service officer to help you make

Also you can find out about using the Centrepay service to assist in living on a budget.

Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman

The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman is an independent body that can help you with problems your internet provider, mobile phone service provider or home phone service provider. These problems could be about your bill, or if you are disputing charges on your bill, or if you have are attempting to restore a bad credit rating.

They offer a fast, free and fair dispute resolution service to assist you with your complaint with your telephone or internet service provider.

You can make a complaint online, call the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman on 1800 062 058, or download information fact sheets.

No Interest Loan Scheme

The No Interest Loan Scheme (NILS) is a scheme devised for low income earners.

It offers interest free loans between $300 and $1,200 for essential items and services, to be repaid in affordable repayments over 12 to 18 months.

To be eligible for NILS you must have a Health Care Card or earn less than $45,000 a year (after tax).

Nils can be telephoned on 13 64 57.

Australian Financial Security Authority

The Australian Financial Security Authority reviews the options for debtors in financial trouble.

This debt relief service provides services for help with debt, and reviews in detail the form and informal options when you have unmanageable debts, reviewing in depth the steps of bankruptcy and consequences on a debtor.

Help With Lost Superannuation

There are many online resources to help track down your missing superannuation.

This Australian Tax Office webpage provides general information and advice for those people want to claim lost super, plus a form to download and send a claim to the Australian Tax Office.

The ATO Superseeker service allows individuals to track online any lost super money.

For more information about finding your lost super, view the detailed information provided by Australian Securities & Investment Commission’s website Smart Money.

They tell you how to look for lost super and give advice on reading your super statement.

Financial Ombudsman Service

The Financial Ombudsman Service is an independent body that provides a free service to help resolve disputes between consumers and financial services providers.

They may be able to help you with complaints and problems you have with your financial service provider involving banking, credit cards, mortgages, general and life insurance, financial planning and investment advice. If you think that the actions of your financial service provider was against the law or a Code or Practice or a relevant industry standard, you can lodge a complaint for the Financial Ombudsman Service to review and make a decision.

The Financial Ombudsman Service can also help people who are unable to pay their bills and need to enter debt arrangements with their lenders, and has other information about insurance policies.

Call the Financial Ombudsman Service on 1300 78 08 08 or see their FAQ for what financial services they regulate.

Insurance Law Service

This non profit organisation provides free legal advice regarding insurance law, and offers practical checklists that assist if you are involved in a car accident or situation where you need to make a claim against your insurance company, or your insurance company is requiring you pay your excess.

The Insurance Law Service also have lots of other practical advice, for example if you cannot pay back your phone debt, or are being harassed by debtors (people you owe money to), or what it means to go guarantor on a loan.

Australian Tax Office

The Australian Tax Office’s website provides tax information for individuals to ensure they understand their rights and obligations.

With tax planning information including details of what deductions, offsets and rebates you can claim, plus advice on the employee/contractor test.

The Salvos

The Salvation Army has a dedicated financial counselling servicing, Moneycare, to help people in financial crisis or those who are trying to avoid financial difficulties.

As well as face to face financial counselling, Moneycare offers remote counselling options, with phone, email, fax or email options. All of the financial counselling is private and confidential.

Moneycare also provides a financial literacy program to help manage debt and learn about how to budget and manage your money.

You can also download the free ebook “Your The Boss”. This workbook includes a budget planner plus lots of saving tips.

Credit and Investments Ombudsman

The Credit and Investments Ombudsman (CIO) can help you with free and impartial resolution of disputes between consumers and more than 20,000 participating financial services providers (non-bank lenders, finance brokers, credit unions, building societies, debt collection firms, financial planners, trustees, services, aggregators, mortgage managers, and many more).

These disputes can be about financial products or services, and where you believe the financial services provider broke the law, breached a relevant Code of Practice or a relevant finance industry standard or acted unfairly.

The Credit and Investments Ombudsman’s service is approved by the Australian Securities and Investments Commission as an alternative to legal proceedings. You don’t need a lawyer to act for you, and the process is free.